
I don't know if you're like me, but I love macaroni and cheese. I'll eat kraft (much to the despise of my mother who thinks that it is WAY gross to eat powdered cheese), velveeta, you name it, I like it. But my very favorite is homemade. When I think about mac n cheese I immediately think of my sweet friend Melissa's Mom who made it regularly for us anytime we wanted it. I've tried to master a good macaroni and cheese recipe COUNTLESS times in the last five years and over and over again I have failed. Until now. Cook's Country April/May edition put me over my slump. This may seem long, but it is WORTH it. You also can freeze it and pull it out whenever you're ready and it tastes just as good. Here it is....
Make Ahead Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
You will need 2 microwave safe 8 inch square baking dishes
4 slices hearty white sandwich bread torn into pieces
1/4c grated parmesan cheese
1 minced garlic clove (one is never enough in my opinion so I throw in a few)
8T unsalted butter, melted (I don't like unsalted anything, i used salted)
1 lb elbow macaroni
6T all purpose flour
1 t dry mustard
1/8 t cayenne pepper (Can leave out if making for kids)
4 1/2c chicken broth
1 1/2c heavy cream (don't substitute milk people, you need a little bone building food)
4c shredded colby cheese
2 c shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
Process topping first: Pusle bread, parm, garlic and 2 T butter in food processor until coarsely ground. Divide crumb mixture between two zipper lock freezer bags and freeze.
Cook pasta: Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in dutch oven over high heat. Add 1 T salt and macaroni and cook until barely softened, about 3 minutes (do NOT overcook). Drain pasta, then spread out on a rimmed baking sheet and let noodles cool (important)!
Make Sauce: Heat remaining butter, flour, mustard, and cayenne in empty pot over med-hi heat, stirring constantly until golden and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in broth and cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until slightly thickened about 15 minutes. Off heat, whisk in colby, cheddar, salt and pepper until smooth.
Freeze: Stir coolled pasta into sauce, breaking up any clumps, until well combined. Divide pasta mix between two 8 in square baking dishes. Cool to room tempterature, about 2 hour. wrap dishes tightly with plastic, cover with foil, and freeze for up to 2 months! Note: you don't have to freeze it, you can just go right ahead to baking if you're having it that night.
Bake: Adjust oven rack to middle and heat to 375. Remove foil from casserole and reserve. Microwave casserole until mixture is thawed and beginning to bubble around edges, 7-12 minutes, stirring and replacing plastic halfway through cooking. (If preparing both dishes, do one at a time). Discard platic and cover pan with reserved foil. Bake 20 minutes, then remove foil and sprinkle 1 bag of bread crumbs. Continue to bake until crumbs are golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes longer. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve. Serves 8-10 as a side dish.
No comments:
Post a Comment