Tuesday, July 26, 2011

a garden update....

It has been HOT in KC. When I say hot I mean H-O-T. As in I've been checking and over the last week it has been hotter here than in Austin several days. Pretty crazy. The heat has been awesome for our vine veggies and for the tomatoes but not so great for some of the herbs. We have been watering like crazy to try and keep it all alive. So far it's been quite a productive year.

below is a new raised bed tim and his brother andrew put together at the beginning of the summer. It holds yellow squash, watermelon, cucumber (oh my heavens do we ever have cucumbers... at least 5 a day!!), zucchini (it has resurrected!), tomato and radish.

green beans along the house... getting ready to take off I hope!

Ready to LOL? If you know my husband I promise you will laugh out loud. For the last three weeks it has been Tim vs squirrels and chipmunks. Between he and Storm they "took care" of over a dozen chipmunks but the squirrels were about to do him in. He refused to lose. Thus, we now have a custom cage around the garden complete with hinges on the door... no joke. Only Tim.... and I love him for it. So far, Tim won out.



We're pretty competitive around here.... Tim and I bet over things all the time. Generally if I win he has to bring me a slurpee from 7-11 (yes, I am getting close to 30 and still LOVE slurpees... so redneck of me). ANYWAY, we each have an okra plant and we're watching to see whose will grow to be the tallest and produce the most. For now, mine is in the garden thriving and Tim's is along the fence line protected by an empty water jug. I'll keep you posted.



As you can see we are pretty much supplying the whole neighborhood and many of our friends with their summer veggies. IT.IS.OUT.OF.CONTROL. Don't be surprised if you see Katelyn on one corner selling lemonade and Tim on another selling homegrown veggies! :)

2 comments:

  1. so awesome. teach me your gardening ways.

    and also, baby below...AHHHHHHDORBS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim would build build a garden cage to fight off the rodents...love it:)

    Btw...I'll take some cucumbers off your hands, if you want!

    ReplyDelete