When we arrived at the hospital two of my best friends were already there. I saw Colton's oldest brother on his knees at the end of the hallway, hands lifted to the sky, begging the Lord to not take his little brother. Then I saw Colton's Mom and Dad. They hugged me and filled me in on what was going on. He woke in the middle of the night in excruciating pain and they rushed to the hospital. He lost consciousness on the way. Colton had a brain aneurism. He was on life support. Around 9:30 am they were going to take him off and see if he breathed on his own.
There we sat in the waiting room. I remember it being my Mom, me, Colton's parents and brothers, Melissa and her parents and Haley. We sat in silence. In tears. In confusion. How could this happen? It was just the night before that I had spoken to Colton on the phone. They lived one street over from us so we often had girls to my house and boys to his on the weekends and then hung out all together. We had made plans for Friday night.... that night.
They took the life support away and Colton did not breathe on his own. A few more friends had arrived by now. Two by two we went into his room to say goodbye. I remember going in with our friend Chad. His eyes were closed with ointment on his lids to help them stay closed. His hand was warm. He looked peaceful. This was my first experience with death.
That night his house was full of Hill Country Middle School kids. The local news came. By the end of the night his closest friends were all together walking the streets between his house and mine. We didn't want to leave each other. We cried and cried and cried some more. Eventually we started telling stories of our time with him. We smiled and laughed and then cried some more. Colton was special to each of us for different reasons. His love for life and love for the Lord has greatly impacted my life. I miss him still and can't help but wonder what his life would be like today.
That night five girlfriends went from being close to being inseparable. Other friends came and went within our group but the five of us grew closer and closer as the years went on. We remained best friends through high school. For college we split 5 different ways and to 3 different states. The distance didn't divide our hearts. Those four girls remain best friends of mine today. Their husbands (+ one significant other) have become a part of this family. Each year we travel together for a week over Memorial Day weekend. Three precious babies were added to the group in 2011.
I'll never understand why Colton's life was a sprint rather than a marathon. I've wrestled for fourteen years with God about that. I do know that God didn't lose control that day. I do know that His plan is perfect. I trust Him and I thank Him for the incredible bond of friendship that was sealed by Him that day. I thank Him that Colton's heart is still beating, along with several other organs that saved people's lives. I thank Him that we still have a relationship with Colton's family. God is good and this situation doesn't change that.
I'll see him again one day..... praise God.
*14 years later, this is how I remember that day.... some details may not be exactly accurate*
No comments:
Post a Comment