Monday, July 20, 2009


Paula Deen’s Grilled Mexican Chicken Salad    

(AND IT DOESN’T EVEN HAVE ANY BUTTER IN IT! :)

Salad....

1 1/2 t chilli powder                                

1/2 t ground cumin                                                       

  1/2 t salt and pepper (just give it a good dash, please don’t waste a measuring spoon!                                                               

  2 boneless skinless chicken breasts                     

 1 tomato                                                          

 1 onion, sliced into 1/4 in rings                                                                            

 1 head romaine, shredded                                                                        

 1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced (I used a whole one)              

 3/4c canned black beans, drained and rinsed                                                

 3/4c canned corn, drained,          

 1c shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat grill to med-hi heat (350-400). Spray grill rack with nonstick nonflammable cooking spray. In a shallow dish combine chili powder, cumin, s & p. Coat chicken with chili powder and grill chicken covered with grill lid for 5-6 minutes per side or until cooked through. Cut into thin slices. (It was raining when i made this AND more importantly I don't have the convenience of a gas grill, so I just cooked the chicken up on the stove). Place tomato, cut sides down on grill, grill for 1-2 minutes per side or until softened and coarsely chop tomato (I didn't grill the tomato, just diced it up). Place onion rings in a single layer on grill and grill for 2-3 minutes per side, or until lightly browned and softened (I did these on the stove as well in the leftover seasoning for the chicken). On a serving platter, arrange lettuce, chicken, tomato, onion, avocado, black beans, corn and cheese as desired. Serve with cilantro cream dressing and tortilla chips if desired. 

Dressing......

1 c sour cream

1/2 c whole milk (i use 2%)

1 T minced cilantro FRESH

1 t lime zest

1/4t salt

1/4t ground cumin

1/8t sugar

Combine, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.

No comments:

Post a Comment