Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A special place in my heart

For the last year and a half I spent every Thursday at Children's Mercy Hospital. I volunteered in the Same Day Surgery/Post Anesthetic Care Unit and I LOVED it. When I started I was a little nervous about being around the kiddos right when they came out of surgery (many of them still intubated), especially the wee little ones. After a few weeks I got used to all the wires, beeping, tubes, etc. and once I got the hang of it I absolutely loved my time there. Due to my hernia as well as being 34 weeks pregnant I recently "resigned" from my volunteer position. I hope I can make it back there some day to volunteer but right now my time will be focused on taking care of our little girl at home. I'll miss being by the kids bedsides, rocking the babies, holding the hands of scared teenagers, and yes even cleaning up the messes and making the beds. What I'll miss the most however, is the amazing people I met while working there. The nursing staff and volunteers at this hospital are incredible. Not only do they do their job well but they treat each child like they are their very own. It was a blessing to be a part of.

The sweet nurses through a shower for Tim and me last weekend at the hospital. It was really special for me to celebrate baby girl with them. They've offered such great advice throughout my pregnancy and have supported me so well. We were excited that my Mom, Tim's Mom, and our sister in law Elizabeth (with 10 month old Jake) were able to be here for the shower. Here are a few pics from the fun celebration.

Word got out that I am quite the fan of iced sugar cookies... these were very cute!
It was really fun to open gifts with Tim... he was excited :)
One of the nurses, my friend Kellie, made this amazing quilt for baby girl... what a special gift.. I love it!
Jim and Barbara are two of my friends that also volunteer at Children's Mercy
Family (from left to right; Mom holding Jake, me, Joan, and Elizabeth)!
Mom and Timmy
These girls (and Jim:) are so dear to my heart...
Very appropriately I left the hospital with all the gifts in one of the wagons that I used to take kids out to the car in...
Thanks CMS SDS girls.... I love you to pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment