Friday, October 9, 2009

Black Bean Soup!

This week I made some black bean soup from scratch for the first time. Chances are good you're going to start seeing a lot of soup recipes on here since it is 35 degrees here... what in the world?! I took a picture of it, but it got deleted and it's probably better anyway because I took it after I had a few bites and it didn't look as appetizing :). I served the soup with cheese quesadillas (topped with fresh pico), and a VERY random side of green beans... (hey you gotta get the green in there somehow!:) Hope you enjoy as much as we did. It makes a lot but re-heats well!

Black Bean Soup
By: Paula Deen
Sep/Oct magazine
Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
-5 slices bacon, finely chopped (I think you could probably leave this out)
-1/2 c chopped onion
-3 cloves minced garlic
-4 (15.25 oz) cans black beans, drained
-2 (14oz) cans chicken broth
-1 t ground cumin
-1t chili powder
Garnish: sour cream and minced chives

*In medium Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium high heat for three minutes or until just beginning to brown (remember, it should be chopped up before you put it in there). Ad onion and garlic, cook for 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beans, broth, cumin and chili powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
*In the container of a blender, spoon half of soup; process until almost smooth. Return processed mixture to Dutch over, stirring to combine. Garnish with sour cream and chives if desired (I highly recommend it) and serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm...

    and by the way, i like the autumn blog makeover. you're so festive!

    ReplyDelete